Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I'm a short person.

I'm a short person -- I'll admit that.  At five feet tall, I often find myself looking up.  I am rarely at eye-level with things.  Lately, I've been seeking solitude in Battle Hall, and each time I reach for the door handle to enter the domain, I notice that it is lower than usual.

It's a strange feeling.

Design is interesting in the fact that it often targets a general population: the "user" is usually a six-foot male of a slimmer figure.

But why?  Shouldn't design be a heterogenous entity, especially with all the diversity society has to offer?

At that moment, I wondered, is it strange that I find it strange that the door handle be... well, strange?

People enjoy routine, but routine varies from person to person -- especially if that person is in a wheelchair.  Would a person in a wheelchair be more comfortable with using that door handle that I did?  And if they were, would that be okay? But wait -- would they even be able to utilize that door handle?  It would be difficult to push the door and roll inside in a wheelchair, afterall.  And then there's another problem!  The door pulls outward, rather than pushes inward!

Oh, what a strange door, indeed.  Thank goodness for the automated handicap button.

... But is a simple button really enough?

1 comment:

  1. Inclusive design is something that is not discussed nearly enough in my opinion! Retrofitting buildings today has become a necessity here in the US, but it still is not considered an essential part of the design, if you know what I mean. What would inclusive design look like in our cities, were we to take it as a core principle?

    ReplyDelete